Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Visit with Grandma Dahlke

This is my Grandma Dahlke - my dad's mom, and besides my mom's step dad Eugene Indgjer, Rosalyn is my last living grandparent, and my childrens' great grandmother. I wish we didn't have to visit her in a senior living center, but nonetheless, it was time with my grandma. I have a lot of memories of her - all good memories. She isn't the kind of person that tries to make a lesson out of everything, she let us be kids... probably because my dad and his twin brother Russ wore her down to let her just have an attitude with kids that boils down to, "ah heck with it", and I mean that in the most lovingly way possible. She always had nice Christmas's at her house, and had a present for everyone. She graduated college when she was in her seventies, and I most love the memory of her coming over to see us after her yoga class - and no I'm not talking as though she is gone. Due to recent unfortunate health events, she now lives in a senior living center as an independent senior, diagnosed with beginning alzheimer's disease.
Why am I going into this - well, I'm using this as a reminder that she is still here and during this time of year when we are all hustling to perfect the art of gift giving, and possibly preparing for the inevitable family dilemmas, that there are people that just want the gift of time with you. No gifts, perfect meals, just being there - time.
I wish I could have spent more time with her today, but there was a virus floating around the senior center and we were shoo'd out by a not so nice nurse that seemed to forget that the residents there need family, and not just other residents to get by - but lest my babies get sick, we left and she cried. I'll still only have the good childhood memories - and I'll get back to see her and spend time.
Now FIN & Truman, let this be a lesson to you - you always make time for your mother!
I love you, and so does your grandparents, and for that matter, your great grandma.
-mama

No comments: